Are you an EU-only trader? These are the actions HMRC wants you to take now

EU-only trader

If you are an EU-only trader you will receive a letter imminently from HMRC asking you to take three actions to ensure that you are prepared for a possible no-deal Brexit. Anna Tobin explains what you must do now

Firstly, you must register for a UK Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number here. In the event of a no-deal Brexit, you need this number to be able to continue to import or export goods with the EU after 31 October 2019.

Secondly, think about whether you want to hire an agent to make your import and/or export declarations for you and start researching them now to find out what information you will need to supply them with and what it will cost you. You can make these declarations yourself, but you will need to buy software that interacts with HMRC’s systems. You should start researching which software you will need now so that you are ready to download and install it if necessary.

Thirdly, get in touch with the organisation that transports your goods, such as your haulage company, to find out what additional information it will require from you in order for it to make the necessary safety and security declarations for your goods. Some firms may ask you to submit these declarations yourself.

How to deal with customs and tariffs issues post Brexit

Ensure your Business partners are ‘Ready for Brexit’ with the BrexSure Brexit audit tool

Download the Brexlist – your Brexit checklist for preparing your business for Brexit