Working in Europe after Brexit? You may need a visa, work and resident’s permit

Ready for Brexit is independent and objective. It aims to help businesses and organisations manage the challenges and opportunities that Brexit brings.
See member benefits  〉

work permit

The latest Government video highlights that anyone working in the EU or EEA following Brexit may need a visa, work permit or resident’s permit and in some cases all three. Anna Tobin reports

Following Brexit, those travelling to some countries in the EU or European Economic Area, (EEA) A to provide or sell services may need a visa or a work permit or a residence permit, or all three, according to the Government’s latest Brexit explainer video. This applies to both businesses and the self-employed and even to those working in the haulage industry transporting goods across Europe.

The video, published on the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, Andrea Leadsom’s, Twitter feed here, also explains that after Brexit employees and self-employed people may find themselves having to pay social security contributions, such as National Insurance, in both the UK and the EU country in which they are working too.

The video also hightlight that while UK obtained professional qualifications have until now been recognised in the EU, after Brexit they may no longer be. It is advisable to check with your professional body and the European Commission for further guidance on this.

Advertise on Ready for Brexit now

Ready for Brexit’s Consulting service helps businesses prepare for Brexit